The Chelsea Rod & Gun Club was founded in 1936 and the first president of the organization was Harvey Murphy (now deceased). The club was incorporated as a 501-C-3 organization in 2003 for the purposes of:
a) To participate, and inform others, in the protection of natural resources including air, surface waters, aquifers, soil, minerals, plant life, wild and domestic animals, and other living creatures.
b) To develop transferable skills in the sportsmanlike, legal harvesting of surplus game animals, game birds and game fish while sharing in the protection of endangered species.
c) To maintain an ongoing program of instruction to all age-qualified persons in the safe, responsible management of firearms, outdoors and at home, with the help of club instructors certified by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources.
d) To provide a special encouragement to youth for the safe enjoyment of the outdoors, and ongoing concern for the protection of natural resources.
Beginning modestly in 1936 the club has purchased its original property of 61 acres on Lingane Road and forestation of the club grounds, which was a pasture, was started and is now largely complete. Trees continue to be planted over much of the property to improve habitat and improve its scenic splendor.
The original clubhouse has been added to on two occasions with a south addition in 1967 and in 1991 walls were added to complete the patio room, which is now the east or bar room. The patio having been constructed in 1987. The original clubhouse building effort was financed with 20-tear bonds sold to club members and all the bonds were paid off in two years after they were issued.
In 1965 a monument dedicated to our deceased members was erected and can be seen through the pine trees on the hill just east of the clubhouse.
The club’s members have always been active and enjoy the many and various activities throughout the year. In recent years, many new programs have developed for members and the public as the club continues to grow and extend our community and civic responsibilities. All of these projects are planned, designed, and carried out by the membership.
In 2000, club member Walter Zeeb generously donated 12.86 acres to the club. This property adjoins the original 61 acres to the south and along Lingane Road. Our property now totals 73.86 acres.
“Pineview” is our clubhouse and grounds that all members can be proud of and enjoy year round. Clubhouse amenities include a full kitchen, bathrooms, and a fireplace. The property includes a picnic area, two trap ranges, rifle and pistol ranges, archery practice targets and 3-D walk-through ranges, as well as nature trails located throughout the property.